Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hearty Guffaw

Jess has become increasingly articulate, add a wacky sense of humor (shaken, not stirred) and wow...she's had us in stitches!
I decided to keep a "Loolie Log", of most of the funny-ish things she says. (There are a few things she learned from her Uncle Jared that I'll skip.) Here it goes.

Today as we were leaving the church house, Jess was dragging me buy the arm to the car. I asked " Why are you in such a rush to get home? Is there something amazing waiting for you there?" She said yes. I asked what, and she said "Daddy". (Steve had presidency meeting this morning so we had driven separately.)She's right. He is amazing. He fixed the garage door and installed the other garage door opener yesterday and it works beautifully. Mad skills. Mad skills and power tools.

Jess' teacher gave her a book of nursery rhymes when we registered for school. We read it and read it and read it some more. Jess loves to sing. I found a CD of them being sung. She's created her own lyrics... here's one you might recognize:
Bah bah black sheep Winnie Winnie woof, yes sir yes sir 3 bags full. One for my nurser, one for my name, one for the little girl who lived down the lane. She also sings Abba in the shower...or where ever she is.

Jess also has an inclination towards the medical field.
During personal prayer last night she prayer for her Grandma Kim to feel better. Then she started explaining to Heavenly Father that one time she felt awful and thought it was because she had too many fries, but that she really just had a cold , so please bless grandma because she probably didn't eat fries. I love prayers.

She also discovered earwax(I know, yummmy!). She asked what it was and why it's in there. I explained briefly that it keeps stuff in that needs to be there and things that need to stay out, out. A few days later she had a fever. She came in with her shoulders slumped and her head down. Mom, I know why I'm sick she told me in penitent tones. I took some of that earwax out and the germs got into my head.

She also has a really strong gag reflex. Giving her medicine is a circus. I had to give her some allergy medicine. She didn't want to take it, so I had to advertise the delicious flavor. She agreed to take it and choked it down. With watering eyes she smiled and said " Mom, that was grody-delicious." At least she humors me!

When she goes down for a nap, we read a few books first and then snuggle up. On this particular day, we had read and were snuggling. I was telling her some of the good things I had noticed about her, and told her that I loved her. She told me, " I love you too, I want to be a boy." pause pause..."Why?" Then she explains "So I can be your husband because I love you."

Last week she went to a fabulous princess party. I was late picking her up. She told me " Oh! I thought you would never come. I waited for like a year. I thought maybe sharks ate you (in a land locked state?) ...or you went to another planet(We've been star gazing and I've tried to teach her some of the constellations and planets.)..or that the car filled with butterflies.

Jess wanted to know why I wear a wedding ring. We talked about special promises and symbols. A few days later we were with family. Jess asked her aunt "Where's your husband?". Her very patient aunt explained that she didn't have one(She's divorced and has 4 terrific kids, 2 sons at home right now). Jess told her, " Don't you think you should have a ring on your finger before you have those two boys?" Her very good aunt laughed and told her to keep thinking that way!
Jess is always entertaining. I love her..winnie winnie woof!

2 comments:

Gina and John Zarate Family said...

oH Em! Thanks for the laughs! I love the earwax story!!! That is my favorite isn't so funny how they start thinking things through on their own and come to the funniest conclutions!!! Oh way to go on your canning I still have to do 1 box of peaches and 1 box of pears! WISH ME LUCK! I know by the time I am finished thoughs one's in the store are not going to be so bad after all!

Gina and John Zarate Family said...

Em, My mom wants your e-mail address. would you please send her an e-mail. Her address is ilenehughes@gmail.com
Thanks!!!

Mad Hatter Cake, Mad Skills!!!

Mad Hatter Cake, Mad Skills!!!
Happy Birthday from Pollyanna

Happy Schmappy Birthday to me!

So, I know this is late, not that anyone is surprised...but I wanted to say thanks to the girls for the fun birthday lunch. ( I wrote proper Thank You notes and delivered about half of them so far..duh.) And then to make it even sweeter, Pollyanna (who has entirely admirable talents) made me a fantastic fondant mad hatter birthday cake! She made the fondant out of marshmallow so it tasted as wonderful as it looked! I took pictures of the art.

Jess and Wes on the first day of Kindergarten

Jess and Wes on the first day of Kindergarten
Jess woke up on this particular morning in rare form. She usually doesn't care what she's wearing; her birthday suit is just as good as anything else. On this day inparticular, she informed me that she didn't want any bows or bands and that she had her clothes picked out. Was that Kindergarten or 8th grade?