Monday, October 13, 2008

My Fake Baby is a Real Power Tool

Amazingly imaginative Jess, who can turn a crayon into a giraffe, has had a hard time with "fake babies" ( aka dolls). She has a few if them, and plays with them when her other girlie friends come over, but has never chosen a doll of her own accord. Lately she's sort of taken to one. She named her Sander. I know this makes Steve proud; my daughter named her baby after a semi-respectable power tool. I wonder which brand she had in mind? I wonder what grit she is.
In the mean time I'm wondering if she knows The Colonel.
I asked Jess to get her bag ready for church. I told her it would be alright if she took Sander to church with us as long as she helped her be reverent. Jess said, I don't know. I think the bishop will get after me for bringing a fake baby to church. I reminded her that her friend had brought her fake baby "Elvis" to church. Unconvinced, Sander stayed home. Later that night Jess and I were talking and playing with Sander, and she asked me, Where do fake babies come from? Thank heaven for the fake part!!! Explaining the plastic factory and a toy store is much easier than explaining the other stuff to a 5 year old!

1 comment:

Gina and John Zarate Family said...

Em it's been a while since I checked on your blog! Love IT! I love your smile boxes I am going to have to try it some time! Holly Canning Batman! Way to preserve those fruits. I thought I was doing good with my peaches and pears. OH if only we lived closer! We could can and laugh together as we make huge messes! Anyway I love ya and miss ya! glad to see you guys are doing well!

Mad Hatter Cake, Mad Skills!!!

Mad Hatter Cake, Mad Skills!!!
Happy Birthday from Pollyanna

Happy Schmappy Birthday to me!

So, I know this is late, not that anyone is surprised...but I wanted to say thanks to the girls for the fun birthday lunch. ( I wrote proper Thank You notes and delivered about half of them so far..duh.) And then to make it even sweeter, Pollyanna (who has entirely admirable talents) made me a fantastic fondant mad hatter birthday cake! She made the fondant out of marshmallow so it tasted as wonderful as it looked! I took pictures of the art.

Jess and Wes on the first day of Kindergarten

Jess and Wes on the first day of Kindergarten
Jess woke up on this particular morning in rare form. She usually doesn't care what she's wearing; her birthday suit is just as good as anything else. On this day inparticular, she informed me that she didn't want any bows or bands and that she had her clothes picked out. Was that Kindergarten or 8th grade?