Sunday, June 7, 2009

An Intersection of Thoughts on Crazy Blvd.

Jessica has learned to read. She knew lost of sight words and her dear Kindergarten teacher gave her a toolbox of deciphering skills. She was ready to go but didn't realize it. I pulled out a Sally, Dick, and Jane book of books and told her she could read it. She realized she could. I've heard that book over 20 times...unabridged. That has led to many other things. I'm really proud of her.
The second part is this; Jess has a propensity to name things with adjectives, fro example, red ear, red necklace, Pink Paint Face, etc.( It will be interesting to find out what she has named my grandchildren. I will definitely make sure I give her a baby name book.)
Here's the intersection. Jane (Eyre), our cat, recently produce 2 happy purring balls of fuzz; both boys. We have been thinking of names for them. I told Jess she could name one and I would name one. After some deep reflection, she came up with Yellow Ear (singular...the kitten really does have 2 ears. I'm supposing she chose the singular so as not to overburden the reader or speaker with description.). We were checking on them the other day when she announced to be that she had chosen a new name ...Dick. My heart skipped a few beats. I wondered what sorts of anatomical questions would follow. How do I, with delicacy, explain to her that you can name things after some parts, but not others. There was a big enough pause for a big panic before she said "And Mom, you should name yours Sally-Tim." Whew!!! Luckily I talked her out of both!

2 comments:

David and Esther said...

Ha Ha! She is such a cutie! I have missed your blog entries! they ALWAYS make me smile. P.S. My Dad's name is Richard but I guess the common nick-name for the proper name is "Dick" You can imagine how offended I was when I first heard some-one affectionately refer to my Father as "Dick". ahhh Good times.

Amanda said...

It was so good to see you guys :)!! THanks again for yummy dinner. Hey send me your email and I'll send you a few sweet deals I've found this week :)
huz_kids@yahoo.com
I invited you to my blog right? let me know if not.. I struggle, we both know that :)

Mad Hatter Cake, Mad Skills!!!

Mad Hatter Cake, Mad Skills!!!
Happy Birthday from Pollyanna

Happy Schmappy Birthday to me!

So, I know this is late, not that anyone is surprised...but I wanted to say thanks to the girls for the fun birthday lunch. ( I wrote proper Thank You notes and delivered about half of them so far..duh.) And then to make it even sweeter, Pollyanna (who has entirely admirable talents) made me a fantastic fondant mad hatter birthday cake! She made the fondant out of marshmallow so it tasted as wonderful as it looked! I took pictures of the art.

Jess and Wes on the first day of Kindergarten

Jess and Wes on the first day of Kindergarten
Jess woke up on this particular morning in rare form. She usually doesn't care what she's wearing; her birthday suit is just as good as anything else. On this day inparticular, she informed me that she didn't want any bows or bands and that she had her clothes picked out. Was that Kindergarten or 8th grade?